Pages

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Objective C guide for old programmer

A little bit about myself.  I used to program 25 years ago using structured languages including assembler, ada, C.  I recently changed careers and got into game design.  I came out with 2 products I designed myself for Fury Software using their implementation of scripts.  So now I am stepping up and we are pushing forward with iOS games for the company and myself.  I am a windows person and have got my mac-mini to learn Objective C.  My head is going to explode.

 

I have been at this for 3 weeks with Big Nerd Ranch books, Lynda.com, and other resources I am using. But I simply can't grasp my head around the syntax and format objective C is written in.  Really I don't know why anyone would want to write code this way?!  Seems a lot more work than its worth.

 

I actually looked at C++, a language I never learned, and I could understand its syntax far better and I could probably code in it right now with little help.

 

object.action ( parameter, parameter )      makes sense to me.

 

[object action:parameter action:parameter]

  gives me a headache to look at

 

  especially when it looks like this

[object [object action;parameter]:parameter action:parameter]  

 

I am looking for a resource that will let me learn this in a different way.

 

Very frustrated person.  If I'm in the wrong forum please redirect.  Also I can't sign up as a developer for 3 weeks now?  Says its down?!?!

 

I am almost at the point I want to get a cross-platorm software and code in C++.


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment