Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

Re: Where should I start?


Hi!  I'm a software developer and author. 



First off, I'd need to know what platform(s) you want to target whe writing code (you seem to want to write Apple software, but for which OS:  iOS or OS X)? 



When you say "my knowledge of code is very basic," what code do you slightly know?



If you are intrested in writing native iOS or OS X apps and submitting them via their respective app stores, then I suggest you consider learning Objective-C.  However, Objective-C is a tricky language for beginers as it is a subset of the C language.  For a beginner, I would first advise you learn a simpler programming language: JavaScript.  C, Java, C++, Objective-C, etc. are what I feel more difficult languages to grasp. However, a third party, PhoneGap offers develoeprs without knowledge in Objective-C to program native iOS apps using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. 



If you don't know HTML, CSS, and JavaScript already, then I hope to point you in the right direction with the following books:  HTML & CSS (after reading this book to hone my skills with HTML5, I honestly thought it was fantastic).  JavaScript: The Missing Manual is an excellent beginer's book on JS (although I would suggest that you read HTML & CSS first).  If you want to learn Objective-C, then this is an excellent beginer's book as well. Although it is aimed at a beginer, I do want you to recognize that Objective-C is still going to be a more difficult language than JavaScript. 



Also, search Google for anwswers to tricky problems which you may encounter.  Watch videos on YouTube.



Let me know what you think and if you need any further assistance.  I'm more than happy to help.   Happy WWDC week! 


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment