Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Setting up Kernel Debugging

I am having trouble getting kernel debugging to work. Here is what I have so far:

 

(target) Mac mini running 10.8.3

(dev)  Mac running 10.8.3

Both machines are directly plugged into a stand alone switch, and they are the only two devices on the switch. Prior to doing the below steps the I verified that the machines could successfully ping eachother.

 

On the target I have done the following:

>sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0x1 -v"  

This makes the machine wait on start up for a debugger

 

 

On the dev machine I have downloaded the kernel debug kit for 10.8.3 and extracted/mounted it.

I then do the following:

>gdb /Volumes/KernelDebugKit/mach_kernel

>source /Volumes/KernelDebugKit/kgmacros

restart the target machine and get the IP address off the boot screen. in this case 169.254.195.96

>kdp-reattach 169.254.195.96

 

In gdb I get 'unable to connecto to host'. I've tried this several times. I'm never able to connect. I even tried adding a permenant entry to my arp table on my dev box, still no luck.

 

What am I doing wrong? Is there a step I'm missing? I've found numerous guides on how to do kernel debugging and I believe I'm following them yet I stil can't get it to work.

 

thanks


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment