Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Trying to install gcc with Command Line Tools - Mountain Lion

I am trying to update the CUDA driver for an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 card. To do that, I need gcc installed.

It appears I have not been able to install gcc, and I need help doing this.

 

I am a newbie to both Terminal commands and to updating CUDA drivers, so please bear with me.

I am running Mountain Lion (10.8.2) on a dual quad core Mac Pro (mid 2010 model).

 

I have been following the guide here:

http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-getting-started-guide-for-mac-os-x/index.html

 

To install gcc w/o having to install Xcode (I don’t need all of Xcode and so don’t want it installed), I downloaded the “Command Line Tools (OS X Mountain Lion) for Xcode – November 2012” from the Apple Developer Downloads page:

xcode452cltools10_86938211a.dmg

 

I also downloaded the “Mac OS X CUDA 5 Production Release” from the NVIDIA Developers Download page:

cuda_5.0.36_macos.pkg

 

I installed the Command Line Tools, and then installed the CUDA 5 Release (driver, toolkit, samples). Both installed successfully.

 

To verify that gcc was installed, I entered the Terminal command (the guide above says this is how I check):

/usr/bin/gcc –-help

 

The resulting message was:

i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2: –-help: No such file or directory

i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2: no input files

 

I take it this means I did not successfully install gcc.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong.


................................................................................ ................................................................................ .................................

NOTE: The steps below may not be of interest to you, since they are steps to verify the CUDA driver was updated (once gcc is successfully installed).

But I included them in the post, in case they are helpful..

 

I went to “Define the environment variables”.

I entered the command

export PATH=/Developer/NVIDIA/CUDA-5.0/bin:$PATH

I got no message

 

I then entered the command:

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Developer/NVIDIA/CUDA-5.0/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

I got no message

 

To verify that the CUDA kernel extension is loaded, I then entered the command:

kextstat | grep -i cuda

 

I got this message:

123 0 0xffffff7f81e69000 0x2000 0x2000 com.nvidia.CUDA (1.1.0)

 

I then checked the CUDA Toolkit version by entering the command:

nvcc –V

 

I got the message:

nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver

Copyright (c) 2005-2012 NVIDIA Corporation

Built on Fri_Sep_28_16:10:16_PDT_2012

Cuda compilation tools, release 5.0, V0.2.1221

 

To change the directory, I then entered:

cd /Developer/NVIDIA/CUDA-5.0/samples

 

Then to compile the samples, I entered:

make

 

The resulting message was:

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

Makefile:79: *** MPI not found, not building simpleMPI.. Stop.

make: *** [0_Simple/simpleMPI/Makefile.ph_build] Error 2

 

To run the binaries, I changed the directory by entering:

cd /Developer/NVIDIA/CUDA-5.0/samples/C/bin/darwin/release

and then entered

deviceQuery

I got the message:

-bash: cd: /Developer/NVIDIA/CUDA-5.0/samples/C/bin/darwin/release: No such file or directory


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment